The Blended Librarian (a community of librarians, faculty, instructional designers and technologists working to integrate the library into the teaching and learning process) is offering a free online discussion with Dr. David Lankes on December 11 from 3-4 EST. The event is free, but you must pre-register and become a member (also free) of the Blended Librarians Online Learning Community so be sure to allow time to be approved. I applied to be a member last night and received my registration information this morning.
Dr. Lankes is a Fellow at ALA’s Office for Information Technology Policy and is the creator of the Participatory Librarianship Starter Kit and he blogs here. Here is the information about the upcoming talk. I have watched some of David’s videos and recommend you consider attending. Even if you can’t attend, join the Blended Librarians Online Learning Community and you’ll be able to access the archive. Also, the technology they use is pretty cool to explore!
Participatory Librarianship and Change Agents
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Knowledge is created through conversation. Libraries are in the knowledge business. Therefore libraries are in the conversation business. This seemingly simple set of statements has profound implications for how libraries are run, and how they measure success. For example, it casts library services as centered on learning, and not access. This presentation will cover the basics of participatory librarianship, and talk about the need for librarians to become change agents within their own libraries and the communities they serve. This is a great opportunity to hear Dr. Lankes discuss participatory librarianship, which has commonalities with blended librarianship, without having to travel to a national or state conference.
Guest Speaker Bio
R. David Lankes is an Associate Professor at Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies, Director of the Information Institute of Syracuse, and Fellow at ALA’s Office for Information Technology Policy. http://www.DavidLankes.org
Although this event is free, advance registration is required to reserve a virtual seat.
If you are already a member of the Blended Librarians Online Learning Community, register here: http://home.learningtimes.net/library?go=1199293
If you need to join the Blended Librarians Online Community in order to register (no fee to join):
- Go to the Blended Librarian website at http://blendedlibrarian.org
- Click on the “Join” button on the home page of Blendedlibrarian.org and follow the instructions.
- After you receive confirmation of your Learning Times account you can return to this email message and use the link above for registered members of Learning Times. Click on the link, and then register on the next page (you may need to scroll down to see the register button).
- We recommend that those participating in the webcast obtain a microphone or headset in order to make use of the VoIP technology that allows conversation between the speakers and participants. A microphone or headset is not required to participate.
- Please plan on allowing yourself sufficient time to log in to the webcast on December 11, 2008. If it is the first time attending a Learning Times event it may take a few extra minutes to log on to their Elluminate webcasting software. Once you have registered for the event you may wish to try the “test room” to make sure your computer is set up and ready to go the day of the webcast.