Green Report on 2009 Annual Conference

ALA’s Conference Services director Deidre Ross has shared a report from McCormick Place, venue for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference exhibits and many meetings.  During the meeting we diverted 65% of waste from landfills.

Deidre explains, “The report was provided by Allied Waste which shows the total tonnage of a variety of recyclable materials that were reclaimed during our event, along with the percentage of waste which was diverted from landfills (diversion rate) and the environmental impact of these efforts.  The report tries to focus on two main statistics which evaluate overall performance:  the diversion rate and the total tonnage.  The diversion rate is a great indicator of successful capture of recyclable or reusable materials.  The year to year changes in total tonnage may indicate changing habits by exhibitors and attendees which include the reuse of materials or bringing fewer materials which may go to waste.”

reclycling-stats

She continued, “We also sent out a green questionnaire to exhibitors and if they answered the questions correctly as to their recycling efforts, they received a “Green Exhibitor” sign for their booth. If we all partner together we can continue to improve and save the environment.”

Deidre is optimistic about diverting 70% … or more … at the ALA Annual Conference is Washington, D.C., June 24-29, 2010.

Karen

(I think if you right click on the image you can view it with type large enough to read … still learning to embed images.)

Share Me, Seymour:
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Tumblr
  • FriendFeed
  • Posterous
  • Twitter
  • email
  • Diigo

Leave a Reply

Notify me of followup comments via email. You can also subscribe without commenting.