Welcome from Jenny

Welcome to a place where a few ALA staff members are going to share with you some of the things we know about ALA, some of the projects we’re working on, and answers to frequently asked questions. Please use the comments to ask questions, give feedback, and engage in a discussion with us.

Personally, I just recently celebrated my first anniversary at ALA in August, and pretty much every month I learn something new about the organization that helps explain why something is the way it is. Not that it’s logical or that this is why it should be that way, but just how it ended up there, and I hope to be able to share these tidbits with you here.

A little bit about me: I spend half my time in the Publishing department, helping to disseminate our content in different ways online, as well as providing advice about new strategies and directions. My biggest project this past year for Pubs was the 2007 TechSource Gaming, Learning, and Libraries Symposium.

I spend the other half of my time in the IT department (actually, it’s called “ITTS” at ALA – Information Technology and Telecommunications Services – but I just say “IT” because it’s easier), where I provide support to the rest of organization for things like blogs, wikis, RSS, podcasting, etc. Two of my big upcoming projects for IT are revamping our Online Communities service (which you probably didn”t know existed) and implementing a social network (more on that in future posts).

As a newbie within ALA, I find it just as confusing as members (and non-members) do, so hopefully we can figure some of this out together.

Leave a Reply